"Every great dream begins with the dreamer. Remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion for reaching for the stars and for changing the world."
Faith will help you conquer the most challenging prospect that brings in freezing ground, snow, and ice. To build the castle of ice that doesn't fade with the changing climate.
Arctic engineering is a graduate study program that touches on the possible difficulties and measures in resolving the issues. To make life sustainable and enjoyable for the people living in the cold region and keeping up the environment's beauty intact.
Cold regions come with a few more challenges, such as a short summer construction season, long distances between habitations, and lack of road access.
The effect of permafrost, high winds, blowing snow, freezing fog, darkness, and sea ice will all make construction and the use of any infrastructure more difficult.
An Overview of Arctic Engineering
The Arctic Engineering Courses meet the requirement to practice in Alaska. It explores the challenges and solutions for technical problems related to cold weather, snow, and ice.
With the foundation and a building design, you learn about snow control, ice growth on the water surface, ice mechanics, and frozen ground's physical and thermal properties.
You will also study the effects of low temperature on construction material and personnel, get acquainted with drinking water and wastewater systems at camps, homes, and communities in the circumpolar North.
Why is Arctic Engineering Important?
To start with, you need to understand what Arctic Engineering is. Arctic Engineering is a graduate study program that equips you with additional engineering knowledge and minimizes engineering designs' chances of failing in arctic conditions.
It would help to study this program because the basic engineering course schedule doesn't cover most of the challenges people face in cold places. For example, the impacts of freezing ground, ice, and snow need to get covered in-depth in engineering designs, yet this is not the case.
Besides, cold places experience more than freezing grounds. These regions also experience a ton of other challenges. For example, colder regions experience long distances between habitations, short summer construction, among others. So there's a need for arctic engineering so that we can be able to cub all these.
What Will I Enjoy About Arctic Engineering?
The beauty of taking this program is that you will be able to interact and work with other engineers - both graduate and undergraduate engineers. You will have the freedom to share ideas and your experiences and create a stellar relationship at work.
Additionally, if you come from a cold region, this would fit you well. You will have a passion for doing it, and you'll have a lot more input into your work.
What's the Future of Arctic Engineering?
Arctic engineering's main objective is to enhance sustainable development—one where we can't only rely on economic feasibility. We also need to promote environmental and socio-cultural practices.
It means that all stakeholders will participate in this process to ensure we all see success. From key decision-makers to local people who live in cold places must all get involved, and we can all achieve this mission.
What Problems Do Arctic Engineering Face Due To Climate Change?
As we all know, we are facing an ecological challenge known as climate change. This catastrophic situation also has a significant impact on arctic engineering.
All the facilities for arctic engineering are in the permafrost. The loads get transferred to a rigid, frozen ground. The ground includes ice, and as the climate change is warming the climate, the stability gets decreased, and the facility settles.
Hence, an artic engineer needs to keep in mind that he will face these issues with the other ones.
What are Arctic Engineering Course Requirements?
For you to secure a place in the arctic engineering class, you must have any of these:
- A Graduate in engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, Geomatics, or physical science, or upper class is standing in an accredited undergraduate program.
- The College of Engineering at the University of Alaska Anchorage provides an online short course titled "Fundamentals of Arctic Engineering" (ES AC030).
Which are the AELS Board-Approved UAA Arctic Engineering Courses?
The following are the few colleges where the Board approves the courses in Arctic Engineering. These colleges provide undergraduate, masters, and online short courses in the field:
- Cold Regions Engineering (CIVENG, 500). If you need to make inquiries about the course or any other academics related issues, kindly send your email to email@example.com. Additionally, you can check out for more information on their official website, where you can find nearly everything you need.
- Arctic Engineering CE 493 / CE 603, Semester Course - University of Alaska Fairbanks. You can send your inquiries via firstname.lastname@example.org or call (907) 474-7241.
- UAA Introduction to Arctic Engineering – ES AC031 – Short Course. For inquiries, you can send your email to email@example.com.
- UAA Arctic Engineering, CE A403. It is a web-based program. Also, you need to note that this program is only available to undergraduate students. For more information or to make inquiries, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (907) 786-5475. You can also visit the facility - Alaska Anchorage. 3211 Providence Drive.
- UAA Northern Design Course – This is a semester-based program like some of the ones I have mentioned. If you have any inquiries about this course or general academic inquiries, feel free to email udutta2.alaska.edu. You can also reach them on the telephone at (907) 786-5475. Finally, you can visit their offices - Utpal Dutta, Ph.D., 3211 Providence Drive.
Fundamentals of Arctic Engineering - University of Alaska and Anchorage
It's never hard to make the decision when you know what your values and your dreams are. Seek a variety of challenges to sharpen your skills in engineering.
To explore the less explored and make sustainable development, where the economy is less feasible. Additionally, you need to be socio-culturally and environmentally conscious. Arctic Engineering is the path that gears up your unspoken wish and desire to do something different and great.
Over to You
If you have interest in this course, you have all the information you need. All you need to do is apply for the program and begin your studies as soon as you get accepted. Furthermore, this course would best suit you if you live in those cold regions because the chances are that you are already used to it. It's now or never. If you are an engineering graduate, you need to top up your skills with arctic engineering. You won't just acquire the skills, but you will also enjoy it.