"Baking may be regarded as a science, but it's the chemistry between the ingredients and the cook that gives desserts life. Baking is done out of love, to share with family and friends, to see them smile." — Anna Olson
Learning Baking and Pastry is much more than its name suggests. It is about understanding the intricate chemical process in Baking, production, functions of various ingredients, and nutrition.
Additionally, it educates with government regulations for food products and production, management, and other business concepts.
This program will help you to sense the change in economic trends that affects a career. Additionally, it will help you develop new baked products and excellent baking skills in the University's bakery Science Laboratories.
Even more, this program will teach you the maintenance and engineering skills needed to run your own bakery business successfully.
A Bachelor's Degree program in Baking and Pastry includes studies involving food analysis, nutritional content, and the chemical process of baked food. But what do you need to get started with Bakery Science?
What Are Admission Requirements For A Backing Degree?
- You must have completed 10+2 or equivalent examination from any stream (preferably Science.)
- You must be fluent in written and spoken English.
- Good Basics of Mathematics.
- International students have to submit proof of their English proficiency to the University they are yet to join.
- You will be required to provide an essay (Statement of purpose letter), which you will attach with your application.
An Overview Of Baking and Pastry Degree Program
The program includes lectures, seminars, and lab sessions, where students exercise what's learned in class. Additionally, you will have a chance to learn how to weigh and measure ingredients.
Also, this program will educate you on how to mix, divide, mold, and set the dough to rise as per the requirements. Furthermore, you will also learn the different types of bread, confectionery products, and decorating and presenting them.
The best of all is that you can explore your options, including the best baking schools at home and abroad, if you have bigger dreams. Additionally, you can work alongside well-established experts in the field while gaining the experience and expertise needed to make it big and successful.
Are There Online Baking Programs?
Sure, there are a ton of online bakery science programs available for you. That said, let's look at a few options you can settle for.
Online Certificate Programs in Baking and Pastry
This online program will take one year if you opt to study part-time. The curriculum for the baking and pastry certificate program includes:
- Fundamentals of Baking
Here, you will learn the basics of baking quick bread, cakes, and baking other essential items. The topics you will cover in this section include baking terminologies, formulas, etc.
- Cake Decorating Techniques
In this section, you will learn how to decorate cakes like a professional and be able to decorate your own cake. It will be fun, but only if you have a passion for baking cakes.
- Culinary Nutrition Theory
It is an approach in which you will learn about nutrition, cooking, health, nutritional theories, among other exciting topics.
- Principles of Culinary Leadership
It will equip you with how you should behave yourself as a culinary leader and much more.
Online Associate Degrees in Baking and Pastry
This program will take you at least two years if you choose to study the program full-time. And below are the general education courses and business topics included in the curriculum:
- Sanitation, allergens, and introduction to purchasing and cost control
- Contemporary dessert design and pastry techniques
- Introduction to the baking theory. You will expand the baking theories you learned in the certification program.
- Artisan and decorative bread. You must have learned baking decoration techniques of cakes at your certification level. So you will go in-depth into the decoration techniques.
- Chocolate Candies and Showpieces. You will learn how to prepare chocolates and candies. Heck, who knows? You could save yourself some coins by making your kids chocolate candies in your house.
- Externship is a part of the degree program.
Electives: Specialty cakes; meeting and event planning; fundamentals of management
Online Bachelor's Degrees in Baking and Pastry
The online Bachelor's degree program in Baking and pastry will take a minimum of four years if you choose to devote yourself to studying full-time. The topics you will cover during your study range from food preparation to nutrition Chocolates. Check them out below:
- Advanced bread: You must have learned the basics of bread baking during your certification program. Here, you will go more in-depth.
- Hot and cold desserts: You will learn how to prepare both hot and cold desserts.
- Technology in the food and beverage industry
- Advanced foodservice operations management
- Externship is a part of an online baking and pastry degree program.
- electives: Advanced viennoiserie; allergens and specialty diets; pastry showpieces
Online Master's Degrees in Baking and Pastry
Online master's degrees in Baking and Pastry are scarce. Students who want to further their education after a Bachelor's degree can benefit from a master's level hospitality degree.
This master's level hospitality degree will equip you with the skills needed to reach top management roles in five-star restaurants, catering, and the hospitality industry.
What Jobs You Can Do With A Baking And Pastry degree?
- A certificate in Baking can give entry-level roles in the baking and pastry industry.
- An associate degree in Baking and Pastry may allow earning entry-level positions in larger establishments, including hotels and resorts.
- Bachelor's degrees equip them for entry-level roles in multinational hotel and resort chains or gives them the skills needed to start their own business. Some potential job titles include Baker, Bakery manager, Cake decorator, Dessert chef, Pastry chef.
Scholarships and Financial Aid Programs
You may want to check out the following for scholarships and financial aid programs if you are an aspiring international student:
- American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Scholarships
- Institute of Culinary Education Scholarships
- James Beard Foundation Scholarships
- National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation Scholarships
What are some of the best baking Colleges?
- Charles Darwin University, Australia. Check out more information.
- Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand: AUT provides a Diploma program in Culinary Arts. To know more about the program, go here. It also provides Diploma in Pâtisserie. To learn more about the program, go here.
- London South Bank University: LSBU provides both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Baking and Food Science. To learn more about the program, go here.
- Culinary Institute of America: CIA offers Associate, Bachelor's, Masters and even certification program. To know more about these degrees, go here.
- Johnson & Wales University: JWU provides various courses related to Baking science, mostly either an associate or Bachelor's degree. To know more about it, go here.
Over to You
Whether one wants to be a famous pastry chef or a recipe developer, a baking degree is the first step towards achieving dreams. One will never serve a bad dessert again when studying Baking.