Mathematics is the reason why every student has nightmares. For some students, math can be the cause of anxiety. Students often get stuck in front of questions that are too difficult to deal with, from kindergarten to university.
In addition, the fact that math is an integral part of our academic career is one of the primary reasons behind the stress caused by math. Not only does mathematics help with real-life problems, but a high-level degree in mathematics opens other doors for our profession and helps us get high-paid jobs.
One of the most sought-after programs is American Mathematics Competitions. It leads the nation to reinforce the next generation of problem-solvers mathematical capabilities with the support and friendly rivalry in the classroom.
AMC helps educators in America identify talent and foster a love of mathematics. The AMC exams are set at the level of medical knowledge, clinical skills, and attitudes. They consist of a multi-choice question (MCQ), adaptive computer test (CAT), and a clinical examination.
There are some incentives on the AMC assessments for doing well. A perfect score for the AMC 8 makes you win a book award or a plaque. Besides this, a list of high-scoring students is also available to universities, schools, and programs that want to attract strong mathematics students.
In the past, a small percentage of high school students may have attended rigorous and highly selective national summer math camps. It includes Summer Studies in Mathematics at Hampshire College, Massachusetts, or the Ohio State Ross Mathematics Program, both of which have been around for decades.
Lately, however, dozens of new math enrichment camps with names such as Math Path, Awesome Math, MathILy, Idea Math.
The AMC program intends to strengthen the mathematical capabilities of the next generation of problem solvers. For middle school mathematics, the AMC 8 is a multiple-choice test designed to promote problem-solving skills.
AMC eligibility requirements
To participate in AMC, you first need to establish what is called a portfolio.
- First, create a record on the AMC website.
- You must also ensure that you have a medical degree from an AMC-approved institution. The AMC recognizes most, but not all, medical schools listed in the Medical Directory. There is a useful search on the AMC site.
- You will also need to create an EPIC account and verify your identity with ECFMG (located in the United States).
- Get an EPIC ID in about three business days and use it to establish your AMC portfolio.
- Upload your qualification to EPIC. You will need to request that EPIC send the report to AMC.
- EPIC will notify you and AMC when verification is complete.
What happens on exam day?
- You arrive, you are credited, your ID is shown, a photo is taken, and you are given a login number.
- Then they send you to a classroom where there are computers, and you sit wherever you want
- When they tell you, you have to log in and click on the terms and conditions.
- There they appear to you, I think there were two or three "test" questions to practice, and you see how the system works - the trial questions.
- Then the button is enabled to start the exam at a specific time, and you start!
- When you start, there is a timer at the top right of the screen to see how much you need.
- You have to give a response to all the questions. The following query does not appear until you solve the item you have on the screen. You can mark those in which you have doubts, and at the end of the exam, if you have time, you can review and change the answer.
- After three and a half hours, the program closes. If you did not finish the exam, you automatically fail.
- They also give you a laminated blackboard and markers to make the notes you want. Apart from the water, you can't have anything else with you. If you need to go to the bathroom, you can do it accompanied by a seer, but the clock does not stop you from taking this physiological recreation.
How to Prepare for the AMC Test
AMC has nothing to do with an Annual Maintenance Contract. The AMC referred to here is the Australian Medical Council. Medical graduates who wish to study in Australia must take the AMC exam conducted to gauge their medical knowledge and clinical skills. The exam is a crucial qualifier for applicants whose medical degrees aren't recognized by the Medical Board of Australia.
It is a Computer Adaptive Test comprising Multiple Choice Questions offered in a three-and-a-half-hour session at centers across the globe. The test consists of 150 MCQs. A candidate's performance gets rated on a scale of 0 – 500, with the pass mark being 250.
In May 2019, after two years of calibrating and benchmarking the test questions with Australian medical students, the AMC had completed the most recent standard-setting exercise, resulting in a slight increase in the pass/fail cut score.
The AMC constantly strives to benchmark and calibrate MCQ examination questions, as it intends to maintain the pass standard for the exam to be on par with the standard required of a graduating Australian medical student.
The exam is tough since it occurs to protect the health and safety of the community. If you intend to pursue your medical studies in Australia, it is best to plan well in advance – perhaps as much as 15 months ahead to give yourself a standing chance to be successful.
To help applicants, the AMC has put together many documents that double up as a tool for clinical practice too.
The online trial exam will give you a realistic idea of where you stand in terms of being prepared for the exam and giving you a sense of the exam format and the type of questions that are asked.
Once you have familiarized yourself with the test format, begin studying in earnest. Use different study methods to memorize and remember all that you study
- Take notes as you pore through the textbooks to give yourself a better chance to retain all the information
- If studying with a group works well for you, learn to use each other as a bouncing board to test your knowledge
- Utilize various online study tools that will not only prepare you but will also test your knowledge
- Test your preparedness by taking the recall exams from previous years that are available from the Australian Medical Council
- Aim to take as many as possible – even of the last 10 years so that you are ready for the kill
Being successful in the AMC is mostly about working with a game plan of setting a study timetable, remaining focused on preparing for the exam, and starting early with preparations. Another key factor in abiding by is eating healthily and doing all that is needed to remain fit – both physically and mentally.
The AMC CAT exam is positively a tough nut to crack at the first attempt, but it can be done if you focus on it even as you continue to strive to do well in your ongoing classroom studies, labs, and clinical sessions.
To know more: https://www.amc.org.au/assessment/mcq/