What is trade school & how to apply
A trade school is where you can study after completing your secondary education. It has nothing to do with trading or learning to speculate in stocks, property, etc.
The study program in a trade school is specifically devised to give you hands-on training in your chosen vocation or technical skill.
A trade school is also referred to as a vocational or technical school.
Colleges impart general education in a degree program but trade schools are single-minded in preparing you to be successful on the job. While it will take you at least four years to obtain a degree, you can complete a trade school program in two year’s time.
What skill can you learn at a trade school?
Actually, the sky’s the limit for the skills you can choose from. The list can well resemble a yellow pages directory.
Some of the skills that you can learn at a technical school are:
- Automotive Technology
- Dental Assistant
- Event Management
- Gardening and Landscape Design
And many more.
What are the advantages of studying at a trade school?
- A technical school will provide the requisite practical training for a specific career
- Every lesson and task given to you in a technical school is aimed at preparing you with the rudimentary skill necessary for an entry-level job
- Experienced professionals will instruct you in a committed environment
- Class schedules are more flexible in technical schools to help you include other obligations even while you are honing a skill
- For someone without experience, a trade school gives you the initial experience that is necessary for the competitive job market
How to apply to a trade school?
Applying to a trade school is quite simple once you understand their admission requirements. Most technical school admission requirements are:
- The applicant must be 16-18 years of age
- A high school diploma or GED (General Education Development or General Education Diploma)
- High School Transcripts or GED Certificates to prove attendance and completion of the course
- A minimum GPA of 2.0
- SAT, ACT or ASSET exam scores for assessment
At many trade schools, you may have to take their standardized placement test like the Career Programs Assessment Test
- Depending on the vocational course, some trade schools ask for prior relevant knowledge or experience
How much does it cost to study at a trade school?
Typically, average tuition costs for a two-year course can range from $3,000 to $5,000 a year. But it will depend on the trade school you want to train at and the course you choose to take. Some courses can cost $30,000 or more.
Is there financial aid available at trade schools?
Trade schools can’t claim to attract applicants with attractive financial aid like many of the best universities do.
Scholarships, loans or grants may be available at some trade schools but it will largely depend on the course you choose as also the trade school itself.